Sunday, May 5, 2013

Error running Windows 8 tutorial app

Unfortunately, I had some hard drive issues that left me without data but still with a working hard drive. Long story... but I decided to reinstall with Windows 8 on base. I would always recommend doing a clean install and not an upgrade when it comes to OS'es or base applications. I really hate to say that I don't trust Microsoft to not think of all situations in an upgrade scenario but no one is perfect. Anyways... I went with a clean Windows 8 install using Windows 8 upgrade (PLUG: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.htm) and installed VS2012 while I was at it.

Upon attempting to run the Windows 8 tutorial app 'TwitterRT', I hit the following error: 'The project [PROJECT] cannot be started directly. In order to debug this project, you must consume it from a Windows Store app project that creates a package and is marked as the Startup Project.'

INTERESTING NOTE: This error used to read: '... you must consume it from a Metro style app project that creates a package and...'. Microsoft no longer uses the term 'Metro style' to refer to its new UI due to the German retailer Metro AG's branding of Hardware, Software, and Storage media. Since I cannot respond to the statement: 'Sprechen sie deutsche', I have to take people's word for it that they are a large company and had enough weight to throw around for Microsoft to do a last minute mambo with their W8 UI branding.

I was able to see the components in the project but not able to see the full working application. The weird part for me is that I got this sample from Samples>Visual C#>Windows Store apps>XAML>Twitter, the extension .vcxproj is a Visual C++ Project. This was also weird because the description of the app was 'My goal is to make tweeting from a C# Metro application as easy as possible. To that end, I created a little app called TwitterRt.'. So this app is clearly a C# app that is throwing a C++ error... why???

Anyone have a solution to this? I don't but I'm blogging about it anyways. Definition: blog (n) - A Web site on which an individual or group of users record opinions, information, etc. on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment